Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The video of Lianna Bryant Speaks along with the articles regarding communication devices hold a significant meaning to myself. I would not be where I am today if it were not for my student who I currently work with as a 1:1 para-professional. My student has cerebral palsy and is a multi-communicator, meaning he uses visuals along with what words he is able to say. My student deals with some behavior issues and was not allowed a device due to the weight, durability and safety of others. However, with the advancements in smart tablets we just received word he will be obtaining a brand new iPad equipped with the same app featured in the YouTube clip. After telling him the news his eyes almost popped out of his head because another girl in our class has the same exact one and he always request to use hers.  I feel a lot of his behaviors occur because of his frustration of not being able to communicate as efficient as he would like to. Working in special needs it is amazing to see kids who cannot utter a single letter have full conversations through their device. I know this is also only the beginning for what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment